Michael Mitchell, PA-CSpine Team
For Michael Mitchell, caring for others runs in the family. Watching his mother care for patients as a renal dialysis technician encouraged him to pursue a career in medicine. Like many in the Hampton Roads area, Michael’s medical career started in the military, where he worked as a hospital corpsman and surgical technician.
After several years practicing family medicine and primary care, one of Michael’s mentors encouraged him to apply for the orthopaedic fellowship at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. He was accepted to the orthopaedic physician assistant fellowship at the Bone and Joint Sports Medicine Institute and graduated in 2008, with rotations in hand, foot and ankle, fracture and trauma, adult reconstruction, pediatrics, sports, podiatry and spine.
Michael is very familiar with the types of injuries incurred by athletes and weekend warriors, as he himself is an athlete. He played a wide range of sports, but excelled in baseball and recreational softball, and is also an avid golfer. Michael and his wife Toni live in Chesapeake and have four children.
- Physician Assistant
Masters of Physician Assistant Studies from the University of Nebraska Medical Center
Bachelors of Science in Physician Assistant Studies from the University of Nebraska Medical Center
Bachelors of Science in Behavioral and Social Sciences from the University of Maryland University College
Associates of Arts from Del Mar College in Corpus Christi, Texas
- Program Director, Orthopedic Physician Assistant Fellowship, Bone and Joint
- Sports Medicine Center, Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, Virginia
- Orthopedic Physician Assistant, Bone and Joint Sports Medicine Center, Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, Virginia
- Orthopedic Physician Assistant, Naval Health Clinic, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Family Medicine Physician Assistant, Naval Station Branch Medical Clinic, San Diego, California
- Hospital Corpsman, Operating Room Technician, Various Naval facilities
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Health Professions Board of Medicine, License to Practice as a Physician Assistant
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Basic Life Support
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Dr. Charles R. Drew Blood Drive
Thanksgiving and Christmas Basket deliveries
Stop the Violence
- SMOC is family oriented and welcoming—with a friendly attitude about the practice.
- Assisting SMOC’s physicians gives Michael and inside track to learning about the the latest breakthroughs in orthopaedic medicine.